Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Perils of a Runner

Hi! I’m Edna and welcome to my first post on Annie & Edna! You guys have already been introduced to Annie so it’s like you’ve already been introduced to me too! I hope you like the blog so far. It’s a work in progress and we promise that each tab will have content pretty soon.

In a little less than a month I am starting my first Half Marathon training and so I’ve been trying to log a decent amount of miles for the last few months so that I can start my training strong. So far this plan has had a few bumps along the way. About a month ago I developed plantar fasciitis in my feet and then it slowly crept into mild shin splints as well. I dealt with mild plantar fasciitis when I was training for the 2010 Portland Marathon but it was manageable. But, this time around I’m doing less miles and it’s considerably worse.


This is my fancy icing method. I’m not too good about sitting still for a solid 15-20 minutes to ice so I strap the ice pack to my arch and can still move about.

After a month of this pain I decided to buckle down and see a doctor and he told me exactly what I feared. I had plantar fasciitis like I suspected but also tendonitis and I needed steroid shots. Plus new shoes (I have no complaints about this one), socks with more padding and he beefed up my orthotics a bit. The best news is I should be back to running, pain free, by Saturday!

After learning I would need a steroid shot he let me think it over. I think my face says what I thought.
If you have had steroid shots for an injury, you know they are no picnic. Top that off with a person who is deathly afraid of needles and you’ve got me. I practically had a nervous breakdown in the doctor’s office. I started doing breathing exercises like I was about to give birth(I imagine the pain is quite similar) and covered my eyes and all the while chanting, “This is horrible, this is horrible.” But alas, it’s over and now I cannot feel my foot which means the pain is gone and that was the goal of going to the doctor.
Starbucks cures everything.

I'm excited to see how my foot feels on Saturday after my run so I will keep you posted! If you are having sunshine where you are I hope you can get out and enjoy it. Annie and I will be taking an "afternoon break" to soak up a little bit of it.
  
Xoxo,
Edna

No comments:

Post a Comment