Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Napa Valley and DIY Wine Cork Board

In the beginning of June, N and I took a trip with some good friends to Napa Valley and Sonoma for a little wine tasting and relaxation. My grandparents also happen to live there and so we got to visit with them too! It was a lot of fun, filled with lots of wine, good food and laughter.
St. Francis Winery in Sonoma, CA.


 V. Sattui Winery. One of my favorites!

While we were visiting Beringer Vineyard's, instead of doing a tasting we decided to get a bottle of wine to share and sit outside and enjoy the beautiful day.


Enjoying our wine at Beringer Vineyard's.
At the entrance of the vineyard they had a giant cork board hanging up made out of wine corks. I had seen several DIY projects on Pinterest on how to do these and had already started a small collection of wine corks but it was going to be awhile before I was actually able to make a full size cork board. So I got the idea to ask the winery and they were more than happy to give them away! They gave me a huge bag worth of wine corks.

Now over a month later I am finally making my own wine cork corkboard and I was surprised at how easy it was! So next time you are at a winery or a wine bar ask them if you can have some wine corks so you can create your own.

DIY Wine Cork Board

What you need:
  • Frame of your choice (I chose an 11" X 14" frame that I fell in love with at Michael's)
  • Approximately 100 wine corks (if you are using an 11" X 14" frame), you will need a few extra wine corks to cut and use as gap fillers.
  • Hot glue gun
  • Glue
  • Small knife
  • Cutting board

How to:

1. First, you will want to take the glass out of the frame (be careful not to cut yourself!) and dispose of it in a safe place. Put the back of the frame back on and lay the frame so it's facing you. Then take all of your wine corks and start laying them in the frame. You can choose what pattern you would like. I did two corks horizontally and then two corks vertically over and over. Make sure that you are squeezing the corks in as tightly as you can into the frame.

2. Once you have all your wine corks in your frame you can start gluing. Start at the top or bottom left and individually take out each cork, put some hot glue on it and place it back down into the frame. You will do this for each one until they are all glued into the frame.

3. Lastly, use the leftover/extra wine corks and cut them down to fill in all the gaps. Be sure to glue these in as well.
Sorry the pic is sideways. It was being finicky. But you should still be able to see where I placed fill in wine cork pieces so there are no gaps.

4. Hang it on the wall and add pins to it!

Be sure to follow our blog for more great DIY ideas!

Xoxo,
Edna

No comments:

Post a Comment