Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Food for Fall

Now that the weather truly feels like fall has arrived I can make squash, crock pot meals, and bake and feel justified in my actions. It's time to bust out hot coco, apple cider, candles, Halloween decorations, and cozy blankets! I've also been inspired to whip up some savory dishes for dinner.  Here is one of my fall/winter staples. Stay tuned, there will a lot more recipes where this came from, enjoy!

Acorn Squash after it's baked. Source.

Baked Acorn Squash
Click here for the printable version.

Ingredients:
1 acorn squash
sea salt
evoo
light brown sugar

Instructions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F.
2. Cut the acorn squash in half.  This is usually pretty difficult because they are so hard. Take your time. Trust me on this. No one wants to explain to the ER doctor that they lost a finger cutting a squash in half. 
3. Next, take a spoon and scrape out the seeds and insides (it resembles the insides of a pumpkin).  
4. Lightly salt the inside of the squash, and drizzle in your extra virgin olive oil (evoo). Use your hands to make sure the entire inside (the orange-ish part) is fully covered with evoo. But, you do not want a puddle of oil in the center of the squash.
5. Place the squash face down on the cookie sheet, green side up. Bake for 40 minutes. Bake it longer if the squash is large, a tiny bit less if it's small. On average, 40 minutes works out perfect.
6. Take the squash off the cookie sheet, and sprinkle brown sugar in the middle of the squash. Let it cook and it's ready to eat! 

Xoxo,
Annie


2 comments:

  1. I am totally doing this soon! I got an acorn squash in my CSA and I have been wanting to try it. Did you eat anything else with it or just the squash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use it as a side dish to pork chops or chicken. I make a mustard, honey, ginger & soy sauce pork chop and it pairs nicely! I am going to put that recipe up this week!

    ReplyDelete