Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Breakfast Dinner

I hope everyone is having a great week so far. I must say, I'm very grateful it's officially half way over. Have I mentioned that I can't wait for Friday?

This week has been a bit of a challenge for getting outside for a run with the on and off rain showers. Unfortunately, I was forced inside the gym for my work out yesterday. Which isn't always a bad thing but I really am not a fan of running on the treadmill. I get bored pretty quickly and usually end up watching a show on Netflix.  For this reason I am thankful I have a run planned for Thursday after work with my friend. Running with her is my favorite because you hardly even notice you are on a run with all the chit chat going on.

Although dinner last night was my husband's always delicious "Breakfast Dinner", omelets. 
N really is the master at making delicious omelets.
I have been wanting to share this recipe with you since I made it this weekend for a family BBQ. I first made it to take over to Annie and B's a few weeks ago and they both loved it. It's very easy to throw together if you are given short notice.  I opted for using frozen corn (thawed) because here in cold and wet Oregon we aren't quite ready for fresh corn off the cob.

Corn Quinoa Salad with Chili Lime Vinaigrette

Click Here for the Printable Recipe 


Adapted and inspired from Iowa Girl Eats.

Ingredients (serves 6)
  • 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
  • 1 1/2-2 cups thawed frozen sweet corn (or 2 ear of corn if it's in season)
  • 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • 1/4 small red onion, minced (optional)
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped basil
For the Chili Lime Vinaigrette:
  • 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon honey
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • Salt & pepper
Instructions
  • Rinse quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer. Add to a medium saucepan with 2 cups of water, then bring to a boil. Put a lid on the pan, turn the heat down to medium-low, then simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water. Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes, then remove the lid and fluff quinoa with a fork. Set aside.
  • Combine cooked quinoa with the corn, tomatoes, avocado, red onion (optional), and basil in a large bowl and stir to combine.
  • For the Chili Lime Vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Serve chilled, or at room temperature.

Last night's sunset was a pretty one and I had to share.

Xoxo,
Edna

2 comments:

  1. that quinoa salad looks really good! I got fava beans in my CSA share this week and I made a similar dressing and threw in the beans. yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really good! I'm getting more used to cooking quinoa where as before I always found it kind of plain and wasn't sure how to spice it up.

      Delete